Home Remedies: Ways to Get Relief from Osteoarthritis Pain Naturally
Did you know that Osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis?
It is a biomechanical and physiological disease.
The cartilage that provides a buffer between bones breaks down and wears away, allowing the bones to rub and grind against each other, according to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS).
There are a few medications that can help you deal with osteoarthritis pain, as well as surgical treatments for people in extreme pain.
But a number of natural remedies may help ease your pain, too.
We listed below the top 10 home remedies for arthritis.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar - Apple cider vinegar is also effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Its anti-inflammatory and alkaline-forming properties help reduce pain and stiffness in the joints. Moreover, it helps get rid of toxins stored in the joints.
Note: Mix 1 teaspoon each of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of warm water. Drink it twice daily, preferably before eating your meal.
2. Hot and Cold Compresses - you can use both hot and cold compresses to manage joint pain due to osteoarthritis. While a hot compress will help reduce pain and stiffness, a cold compress will lessen swelling and inflammation.
Note: Prepare a hot compress by wrapping a hot water bottle in a thin towel.
3. Cinnamon - a popular Ayurvedic remedy for osteoarthritis is cinnamon. Known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, cinnamon can help fight joint pain and swelling. It will also relax stiff muscles.
Note: Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
4. Fenugreek - it is a popular Ayurvedic treatment for osteoarthritis. Fenugreek seeds possess antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and hence help manage pain and swelling.
Note: Soak 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. The next morning, eat the soaked seeds and discard the water. Do this daily.
5. Epsom Salt - another time-honored remedy for osteoarthritis is Epsom salt. Being a good source of magnesium, it helps reduce pain, swelling and inflammation.
Note: Add 2 cups of Epsom salts to warm bath water.
6. Ginger - Ginger is another excellent natural remedy for osteoarthritis. A 2001 study published in the journal Arthritis and Rheumatology found that highly purified ginger extract demonstrated a positive effect in reducing pain in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee.
Note: This herb is rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain, swelling and inflammation. Moreover, ginger helps block COX-2, a chemical in the body that causes pain.
7. Exercise - Exercise can help you deal with osteoarthritis symptoms. It will help you increase your endurance and strengthen the muscles around your joints. This in turn will improve mobility. Moreover, exercise will help you lose weight.
Note: Try aerobic exercises like walking, swimming or biking for 30 minutes daily, five times a week.
8. Massage Therapy - regularly massaging the affected areas will help reduce the intensity of pain, swelling and inflammation due to osteoarthritis. In addition, massage improves blood circulation and has a soothing impact on inflamed muscles.
Note: Using gentle strokes, massage the affected areas with warm olive oil or coconut oil a few times daily. If the condition worsens massaging, stop doing it.
9. Green Tea - according to a 2011 study in Arthritis Research and Therapy, green tea helps prevent as well as control symptoms of osteoarthritis. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help reduce joint pain and swelling. Moreover, green tea helps preserve bone density and maintain bone strength.
10. Turmeric - it is an efficacious and safe treatment for osteoarthritis. It may even slow the progression of the disease. Turmeric has a compound called curcumin that possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Note: Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and boil it. Add a little honey and drink it twice daily, at least for a few days.
See Below for Additional Tips:
- Ask your doctor for nutritional supplements that can help manage your symptoms.
- Eat foods high in omega-3 fatty acids like nuts, seeds and cold-water fish to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Try to sleep well as it helps cope with the stress and pain of osteoarthritis.
- Quit smoking and drinking as they may worsen your condition.
- Meditate to keep your mind off the pain.
- Try yoga to improve joint flexibility and strengthen muscles.
- Expose affected areas to morning sunlight to get vitamin D, which is essential for healthy bones.
- Include foods rich in vitamins C and E in your diet. These vitamins help keep your bones strong and manage the symptoms.
We hope that this brief article is informative to you, share this post so that you can also inform others about this and might help them a lot.
Source: Top 10 Home Remedies
Home Remedies: Ways to Get Relief from Osteoarthritis Pain Naturally Reviewed by Artikulo Uno on 5:43 PM Rating: