How To Tell If A Fish Is Safe To Eat

Fish and shellfish are an important part of a healthy diet. They are a lean, low-calorie, high quality source of protein. They contain essential nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids, and are low in saturated fat.

A well-balanced diet that includes a variety of fish and shellfish can contribute to heart health and children's proper growth and development.

However, some fish and shellfish may contain chemicals that could pose health risks. 

When contaminant levels are unsafe, consumption advisories may recommend that people limit or avoid eating certain species of fish and shellfish caught in certain places.

Some fish and shellfish can also accumulate illness-causing microorganisms like bacteria and viruses that could pose health risks to consumers. These risks are often managed by limiting or preventing the harvesting of shellfish from contaminated waters.

Here  are  some  of  the  dangerous  chemicals  that  are  often  found  in  certain  fish:
Mercury and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) — they can harm the health of a pregnant woman  the health of a developing fetus the  brains  of  babies  and  young  children,  slowing  down  mental development

PCBs — can raise your  risk  of  cancer

Pesticides — may raise your risk of cancers of the blood, brain, and lymph system

How can I tell if a fish has lot of harmful chemicals in it?

You will not be able to tellby looking at it or tasting it.  Fish markets, grocery stores, and restaurants will still sell it.  You  can  view  a  list  of  the  mercury  levels  in  fish  on  the  Natural  Resource  Defense Council’s  website  here:

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

1. Do not eat
They contain high levels of mercury. 
King Mackerel

2. Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

3. Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas.
If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

(Source: FDA)
How To Tell If A Fish Is Safe To Eat How To Tell If A Fish Is Safe To Eat Reviewed by Admiin Artikulo on 7:32 AM Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.